Friday, January 22, 2016

"Friday Favs": The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Genre: Young Adult, SciFi, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, Aliens. 651 pages.
Price: $7.99 ebook (at time of post)
Publisher & Date: Back Bay Books. [1st Edition] April 21, 2010.
Book Link: Click Here
Listed Rating: ðŸ“” ðŸ“” ðŸ“” ðŸ“” . 4 
Price I Paid: $1.99 on March 29, 2013
My Rating:  ðŸ“” ðŸ“” ðŸ“” ðŸ“”📖
**Yes, I purposefully posted the novel cover instead of the movie novel cover.**

My Thoughts: Aliens vs. Human, Racism In A New Light.

     What drew me to this book wasn't the author's name, because honestly I haven't red a single twilight book. No, what got me was the cover and size of the novel. My co-worker had this book with her for over a week and I finally asked her about it, intrigued by the concept I borrowed the book and read it faster than she did. The narrative and dialogue was intriguing keeping me truing page after page turning up at work with a book hangover, because I had to see how it all ended.
    In a world where humans are no longer their own beings, Melanie Stryder, is trying to survive with her little brother. The world that once was is no more, humans are now inhabited by aliens who have taken over the world making it their world now. Humans have gone underground in the hopes of one day rising to take back their world. Melanie is corned by the Aliens who seek to use her as a new host, in desperation she tries to run but even her attempt at suicide is thwarted, and when next she awakes Melanie is not herself. The Wander is placed in Melanie's body and begins to adapt, but soon Melanie starts to gain consciousness within herself. The two girls transition into a unique state of existence and bond as they had at first fight for the right to inhabit the one body they now share. The Wander now named Wanda, starts to become human in thoughts and feelings living amongst the human refugees, however she becomes faced with a huge choice having to decide whether to leave her host or risk staying for a chance at love and family.
   Overall, loved this book. I was never one to really read contemporary SciFi, but this book was one that helped bring me into the genre. My favorite character was Wanda, the Wander, she was so innocent and lost half the time but was so full of love and wisdom. The aliens weren't portrayed in a overly gruesome way but as another race, so the hate directed at Wanda seemed reflectant on modern issues of racism. One of my favorite parts of this book was the dual narrative between Wanda and Melanie, their conversations were always interesting especially since they were inside the same body but different minds or entities. And yes, I did watch the movie once I finished the book and No they are not the same. But they are similar and its an okay representation. I still prefer the book but enjoyed the movie. So if you want a book to fill your time with concerning aliens and their hosts, love and races, than this book would be great to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment